Tuesday, July 31, 2007

So the next job is to use lacquer thinner to remove the sticky epoxy and then recoat the (hopefully) final coat on the top. I'll keep you posted.


So a couple days ago I the botched to job dried enough to be flipped over(it's still really sticky) and I glassed the bottom side. This time, the job went perfectly, the glass dried in less than 7 hours and I'm happy.

So I glassed the top side of my board last week. However, like an idiot, I didn't mike the epoxy for the required 3 minutes. Instead, I mixed it for a total of 5 seconds. Anyway, the front half cured, leaving the logo, and most of the tail as a sticky mess. I tried scraping off the epoxy as the people at MAX epoxies told me, but that didn't work. It turns out that you can't glass ontop of it until the messed up batch is fixed. More on this later.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Since I got the kit I was always thinking about what design to put on it as a logo. After alot of thinking without getting anywhere, I looked at a simple Ying Yang. I like the design, but it was too unoriginal, I wanted to add something to it. The two teardrop shapes resembled whales when I saw it on a certain angle, so I sketched this design up and carved it into my board with a sheetrock knife(I couldn't find the soldering iron).

Friday, July 13, 2007

Fin boxes

So I recently roughly shaped the board and added two of the four fin boxes that I ordered from Rainbow Fin Co. along with Rich Pavel's canard speed dialer fin system. In plain english, this board will fly. In order to put these boxes in, because I am afraid of my router, I have to chisel out the box's profile perfectly and insert the boxes. After I put in the next two I'll finish the rails and sand the whole board perfectly and finally put a design on the top before fiberglassing it.

New Old Uke

So this priest I know had an old friend of his clean out his attic and find some old instruments, one of which was a ukulele. So this guy gave my priest friend the uke and some other old banjos. He dosen't play the uke, and I was the only one he knew that did, so he gave it to me. I found out that it is from hawaii and was made between 1915-40. It sounds amazing, and I think it is mahogany but it could be some exotic wood.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

So I glued the top planks on, but they cracked on the sides. I glued them back together and then sanded them down, and now you can hardly tell. I still have a day or two of sanding to go, then it'll be ready for glassing. Also, a little bit of the tail didn't glue to the bottom, so I need to redo that little bit.